Sunday, November 1, 2009

Regional Scholastic Open

My son went to a regional scholastic open on the Halloween Saturday.
The players range from kindergartner to high school students, from 3 feet to 6 feet tall, and from rating of 100 to 2000. Maybe I should not take him to this one, because all his four opponents are either much stronger or much weaker. There is no surprise at the end. He scored 2 points out of four games and there is almost no change to his rating. Fortunately the tournament finished right on time and he didn't miss the Trick or Treat.


Game 1 -
In game one, my son played with the top seeded player at the first board. This is a kid of about only 12 years old. But he is already an expert and is among the top 10 at his age in the country. He is also the strongest opponent that my son have ever met so far in a tournament. This game should be the best lesson for him about piece development during opening.

Here is the game:



Game 2 -
In this game, my son played with a kid with much lower rating. I am skipping to next game.


Game 3 -
In round 3, my son played with an unrated high school student. After the tournament, this kid got the initial rating of ~1300. So he is not too strong for my son. But my son got checkmated too early.

Here is the game #3:



Game 4 -

In the last round, my played with a lower rated middle school student. Originally, I planned to skip this game too. But after I walked through it, I found this game is not boring and here it is:

No comments:

Post a Comment